Corpus Christi School and Parish form part of a wonderfully culturally rich and diverse community, united by our faith and our focus on delivering the very best educational outcomes for each and every child in our care.
Who we are
We recognise the range of rich cultural experiences of our families and staff, and want our school community to reflect and build on this together. We hope to do this in different ways. We have started by creating a Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) working party made up of staff from across the school in both teaching, office and support roles. We are dedicated to working towards inclusivity across the school and we are championed by a member of the SLT to ensure that change is supported and resourced effectively.
We carefully consider the 9 protected characteristics below, enshrined in the Equalities Act 2010, to ensure that whatever we do will have no negative impact on any individual.
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
What we do.
We meet once a half term and have a rotating chair. This ensures that whomever is leading the meeting sets the agenda and raises the profile of the discussion topic. We minute every meeting and share our findings with all staff in the school.
- One of the first tasks that the D&I working group undertook, was a curriculum audit, which looked at the resources used and topics taught. We highlighted areas where improvements could be made. This has led to the appointment of Topic Leads, and re-writing the Foundation subject curriculum.
- We carried out a staff questionnaire to try to give us a base line of where we were and what the staff felt we needed to prioritise.
- We have drawn up a schedule of D&I specific assemblies where we will discuss the different characteristics with the children in a language and format which is suitable for their age groups and all within the umbrella of the family and our community.
- We want to run more culturally diverse events and will partner with our Parents Association to deliver these, initially by reinstating our much loved and missed International day!
- Representation is important to children and adults alike. We want to celebrate the large number of countries that our families have links to, and will be sending a call out for flags and other cultural items that we can display or share on our socials. We will use these as learning opportunities for children, staff and families alike, and encourage our families to share these items with us or let us know of any cultural days that we could recognise.
- We have shared and continue to share our ideas and findings with the D & I Champions in the Upper Juniors, planning whole school assemblies and displays collaboratively as well as meeting regularly with curriculum leads to ensure there is celebration and representation of the nine protected characteristics.
- We have paired with the charity Global Dignity and are looking forward to being one of their link schools.
We regularly review, share and evaluate our work with the aim to continually make Corpus Christi School an inclusive hub for our community. We welcome feedback and suggestions from families, staff and children.